MORE ESSAY RESOURCES
- College Essay Guy (click on “Get Started” for some free writing exercises)
- Essay Hell (lots of free info in the blogs in addition to paid courses and resources)
- Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab (click on all four sub-sections in the nav bar on the left!)
- Some essay-writing advice from the Admissions team at Johns Hopkins University
College Counseling Services
Magellan’s comprehensive college counseling plan includes 35 hours of personalized guidance throughout the student’s junior and senior years. We also offer a limited-hours “mini-plan” to help your student better organize their application process.
We can also work on an hourly basis with your student.
Application Workshops for Seniors!
Class of 2016 – as of next month YOU ARE SENIORS!!! Magellan can help you get a jump start on your college apps. Getting some essays and applications out of the way early means less stress for your entire household in the fall! We will hold four workshops in August – two for essay-writing/refining and two for filling out the Common App, UC app and any other applications you will need to submit! More information is here – RSVP is required.
While the Common Application won’t open until August 1, you can find the essay prompts for the Class of 2016 here. Essay prompts for the UC campuses are here.
Class of 2017 – do you have your SAT/ACT testing plan in place? The newly-overhauled SAT will debut next March. Summer is a great time to take a full-length practice SAT and ACT to see which test suits you better. Summer is a also great time for students in all classes to read, prep for the SAT, shadow a professional, get a job or volunteer!
Parents – please give us a call if you’d like to have a personal consultation with one of Magellan’s counselors.
Students’ Summer To-Do List:
- Visit a few local colleges, just to get the feel of college campuses (So many to choose from! Occidental, Whittier, LMU, CSUN, Pepperdine, USC, UCLA, Long Beach State)
- Keep track of your volunteer, work or internship hours
- Prep for the SAT or ACT! [There are no tests over the summer – after the June 6th SAT and June 13th ACT, the next tests are in September (ACT) and October (SAT).]
Syracuse University information session
Sunday, July 12, 2-4 pm
4312 Woodman Ave. Suite 302, Sherman Oaks
Register here (click “Info sessions,” search by date).
Colleges That Change Lives – The 44 CTCL member colleges will host an information session and college fair on Sunday, July 26th. More details here.
Magellan’s Summer College Workshops
(More info and RSVP here)
- Saturday, August 15 – 10 am-1 pm: Essay workshop #1
- Saturday, August 22, 10 am-1 pm: Common Application Boot Camp
- Sunday, August 23, noon-3 pm: Essay Workshop #2
- Sunday, August 30, noon-3 pm: UC and non-Common App school applications
Host a College Admissions Seminar for Friends!
Are your friends starting to think about (read: get anxious about!) college? Please get in touch if you are interested in hosting a college admissions information seminar at your home. We can tailor our presentation for parents of 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th grade parents, or a combination. Your friends will thank you for the opportunity to learn more.
SAT and ACT Info
There are no SAT or ACT tests over the summer. Next tests are September (ACT) and October (SAT).