Congratulations! Your child is going to college! It’s an exciting time. But which college is right? How do you research; how do you apply? The college admission process is far more complex and competitive than it used to be. And the counselors at your high school are probably responsible for hundreds of students, making it difficult for them to give your child enough time, attention and advice. That’s why so many students today use independent college counseling services.
Magellan’s college counseling services are designed to organize the college search process, reducing their stress – and yours. Ideally, we recommend that you start thinking about the college admissions process in 10th or 11th grades. Some families start as early as 9th grade. Starting senior year is considered late.
When you begin in the 9th, 10th or 11th grade, we have far more flexibility and many more paths to explore. In short, it’s never too early to get started.
Our college counseling services include:
- High School Curriculum and Transcript Review
- Extra-Curricular Activity Review
- Summer Enrichment Activity Review and Recommendations
- Assistance with Determining Potential Majors/Career Fields
- College List Development
- College Visit/College Fair Preparation
- Customized College Search Plan and Timeline
- Resume/Brag Sheet Development Assistance
- Teacher/Counselor Recommendation Request Preparation
- On-Campus Interview/Alumni Interview Preparation
- Assistance with Essay Preparation, Development and Revision
What Makes Magellan’s College Counseling Services Different?
We are frequently asked what makes our services different than those offered by other independent college counselors. We believe three things make Magellan stand out:
- Magellan counselors approach our work with students as a two-phase process. The first phase is “College Search,” in which we assist students in researching the colleges that fit them academically, socially and emotionally. The second phase is “College Applications,” in which we help students complete all the tasks they need to complete to successfully submit each application on time.
- All of our counselors are actively involved with multiple professional organizations that focus on college counseling as a profession. This means we are constantly refreshing our knowledge, visiting colleges and meeting with college admission officers.
- Magellan has eight counselors in our practice, and we discuss our clients as a team on a regular basis. Frequently, more than one of our counselors will read your student’s essay(s). You’ll have one main point of contact, but you’ll receive the benefit of all of our counselors’ years of experience as we work with your child through the college search process.
If your student is not yet a senior, learn about our college counseling services for 9th, 10th and 11th graders.
If your student is in or entering their senior year, learn about our college counseling services for high school seniors.
Let’s see how we can help you and your child plan for college today with Magellan’s professional college counseling services.
Learn more about the services we provide here:
Magellan College Counseling services 2019