People frequently ask us when our college counseling services start. We like to start talking to parents when their students are in 9th and 10th grade, and our comprehensive counseling program begins at the very beginning of 11th grade. Our goal is to make the college admission process feel more like a search, and less like an arms race.
At Magellan College Counseling, our college counseling services prioritize preparing your child to apply to college, because we believe the earlier you start, the less stressful the process will be.
Unfortunately, many teens wait to apply to college at the last minute, and that’s where the stress and frustration of the college application process begins. By starting earlier, students can select the right classes and delve more deeply into their extracurricular activities. We can also help them plan their standardized testing timeline.
Parents – you are probably already thinking about how to pay for school. Just as importantly, you should be thinking about how to reduce the costs of a great college education. Magellan can help with that, too.
No matter when we start, the independent college counselors at Magellan College Counseling make the college search process more organized and less stressful.
Here are the services we can offer for underclass students:
College Counseling Services for 9th, 10th and 11th Grade Students
- Monthly meetings to ensure academics are on-track for graduation and meet California public university system admissions requirements
- Interest assessments and exploration of potential majors and career options
- Suggestions for academic enrichment programs during the school year if school academics are not challenging and/or student is bored/not performing well
- Personally approved recommendations for SAT/ACT prep and tutoring
- Suggestions for extracurricular and community service activities
- Recommendations for summer programs and internships
- Writing coaching to develop stronger writing style
- Work with students to begin looking at colleges
- Assessments to help determine the student’s best learning environment
- Customized suggestions for colleges to visit (websites and in person)
- Demonstration of how to get the most information out of a college website
- Local college visits with clients
Applying to college is far more competitive than just ten years ago. Start the process now, so you and your teen can have the most choices and best opportunities to get into the right college.
With our college counseling services for 9th, 10th and 11th graders, we’ll help you navigate the entire college search process. Contact us today and let’s talk about you and your student, and how we can serve you best.
Note: By the way, we offer college counseling services for seniors as well, but having the ability to start one, two or three years earlier gives your child a huge advantage over those who start in their senior year.